Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Cook's Illustrated Pumpkin Pie

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I was gluttonous and not unhappy about it in the least. I also got a lot of rest and spent time with my "brother" Toby, the rat terrier mix, who is clearly now top dog in our family. His first Thanksgiving with my family and he's plated and served first; fed twice! Unbelievable what happens during the empty nest phase -- the spoiling is much worse than I imagined.

Anyway, I'm in charge of making pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving and I'm happy to do so. I LOVE LOVE LOVE pumpkin pie. It's an understatement. I could eat it all year long and not lose interest. I have made pumpkin pie for the last five years since my family. How come my sister is the only one that comes away with not bringing anything?!!

I decided to try the Cook's Illustrated Pumpkin Pie as I read it was the be all, end all of pumpkin pies. It has wonderful ingredients like heavy cream, whole milk, eggs and egg yolks, cinnamon and fresh ginger all things that come right to my heart. So I made it and as you can see, it is really gorgeous, isn't? But I didn't like it as much as the recipe off the Libby's can. To be fair, the texture of this pie is silky smooth because you have to strain the pumpkin and the secret ingredient but you can't taste the spices that make pumpkin pie pumpkin pie, you know?

It was more pumpkin-y than I expected. I couldn't taste any cinnamon or ginger or any of the other spices that usually shine through. It was good but not the be all of pies AND it took way more time than the Libby recipe. I'm going back to the version I love best which I think I will make again at Christmas.

Enjoy!

I'm not going to re write the recipe as a quick google search will promptly bring up oodles and oodles of recipes and pictures. Can you tell I have blogger burnout?

19 comments:

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Too bad the pumpkin pie didn't live up to expectations. For me, good old Libbys recipe on the can is the only one I'll use.

Anonymous said...

hehe, blogger burn out! I know what you mean. It took me so long to write up my latest post, even tohugh I made the dish over 2 weeks ago!

I love your pumpkin pie, it's one of my favs!

Rita said...

Sometimes it's better to stick with tried and true. I am really hungery for pumking pie rightn now!

Julie M. said...

I'm a huge lover of pumpkin pie as well. so much so that I stock up on cans of it during the holiday season so I can make it for myself throughout the holiday season (a girl's gotta have her pie).

Thanks for the heads up on the CI pie. I totally understand your blogger burnout. Tis the season, right? :)

Stella said...

Hey Nirmala! Glad you guys had a nice Thanksgiving. Your pie looks really smooth and pretty. I like my simple recipe better than fancy ones with extra cream and yolks too, so I can understand your feelings on the recipe;) Oh, and have you ever used turbinado sugar for a pumpkin or sweet potato pie-amazing! I won't use anything else now...
p.s. your pup is too cute. I wish I could have a dog. My Cauldron Boy is allergic, so I have to visit my Mom's pup for some canine fun (smile).

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Sorry you were not pleased with your pie! I hate it when you work hard and get mediocre results!!! #$*@#*&!!!

Beth said...

I know what you mean about the spices. That's what makes a pumpkin pie!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. We always overeat too. Too bad about the pie. You never know until you try I always say.
Sam

Ameena said...

I had pumpkin pie for the first time last week on my trip to NYC. Can you believe I'd never tasted it before? I loved it - especially the crust. This looks just as delicious but sometimes tried and true is the best way to go.

Blogger burnout...yes I can relate!

Joanne said...

Pumpkin pie is one of my favorites so I'm so sad this one didn't turn out! Oh babe, sigh. It happens to the best of us, I'm afraid.

redmenace said...

It looks wonderful. The crust? Sooooo good! Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. T-day is the BEST holiday we have!

FOODESSA said...

Before I have my first coffee in the morning...my puppy Sushi, the Prince gets fed first! Now, why is that? LOL

The pie...especially since it was derived from CI...one would expect a little better results. I get your disappointment.

Glad you enjoyed your mini holiday period ;o)

Ciao for now,
Claudia

nancy at good food matters said...

Hi Nirmala--Sometimes the folks at Cooks Illustrated make things too complicated, and the essence of a dish gets kinda lost in the process. But it's good to find out that your tried-and-true recipe is the best one for you!

I usually take the recipe off the Libby's can too, and might tweak it with spice, turbinado sugar, or organic pumpkin.

Enjoy the holidays and don't fret about blogger burnout. It happens to all of us!

Carol said...

I'm with you, Libby's all the way! Too bad it wasn't all it was cracked up to be because it looks so good!

Love the pup! Cute!

Diana's Cocina said...

You did a great job. The pie looks smooth and yummy. Sorry it did'nt taste as good as it looks.

Dimah said...

The pie looks smooth and delicious! sorry you didn't like it.

Träningsnörd said...

Pumking!!! CUTE!!

kathie said...

Sad it wasn't good. Usually the recipes in cooks illustrated are really good.

Hannah said...

Would you believe I've never eaten Pumpkin Pie? I think I'd love it, and your photo does look good!